Welcome to Soesterberg Wolfhounds. The website which is dedicated to the men and women who served at Soesterberg Air Base from 1954 till 1994.
The Soesterberg Wolfhounds traces its history from the 32nd Pursuit Squadron. During World War II the squadron flew daily intercept and submarine missions throughout the Caribbean. In the waning years of World War II the unit was reassigned to France Field, Panama, to defend the Panama Canal Zone.
In 1954 the Dutch government accepted the American offer to deploy a squadron of combat aircraft to the Netherlands to contribute to Dutch air defense within the context of NATO. The 512th Fighter Day Squadron (FDS), stationed at Manston Airfield in Great Britain, was detailed by the Headquarters of the USAFE for transference to the Netherlands. The home base of the squadron became Soesterberg Air Base which was also known as Camp New Amsterdam. In 1958 the USAFE re-designated the unit as the 32nd Tactical Fighter Squadron (TFS), as part of the 36th Tactical Fighter Wing.
In 1959 the squadron received the signature "Royal", the crown and wreath of the Dutch Royal Family were added to the emblem. This unique honor was granted in recognition of the unit’s contribution to the defense of the Netherlands during the cold war. As part of the Seventeenth Air Force the USAF re-designated the unit in 1969 as the 32nd Tactical Fighter Squadron (TFS). Over the years the Soesterberg Wolfhounds flew and maintained a variety of fighters including the F-86, F-100, F-102, F-4 and F-15, achieving impressive results. The 32nd Wolfhounds was recognized as the most outstanding fighter interceptor squadron in the United States Air Force, winning the Hughes Award three times.
With the end of the Cold War a major force draw down occurred in Europe; the USAF reduced its fighter force structure. These changes affected the 32nd Fighter Squadron (FS), as part of the draw down the squadron's F-15 Eagles returned to the United States. The 32d its units were inactivated on 1 July 1994 and the group on 1 October.
The Dutch base was officially closed on 12 November 2008. Only a small portion of the base will remain in Dutch military hands. That portion is the Camp New Amsterdam portion. The base will be a "joint services" Dutch base. Major construction is planned.
The Dutch officially adopted the name "Camp New Amsterdam" for the new base.
The remainder of the base will house the Dutch Military Air Museum and a portion of the Dutch Army museum. Most of the base, thankfully, will be maintained for recreation and nature.
|Changes since base closing both on/off base|
New section: Changes since base closing both on/off base[more]
Last update was made on May 1, 2010.[more]
Interested in Wolfhounds stuff?[more]